The Old Church of Llantrisant, Anglesey

The church is mentioned in the Valuation of Norwich of 1254 as the Ecclesia de Llansann. The present building dates from the 14th century, the south chapel, with its distinctive L-shaped form, being added in the 17th century.  The altar is simple, consisting of a slate slab supported on piers; a simple cross is set into the wall behind it. The oldest item of church furniture is the font, from the late 12th or early 13th century and English in origin, being rescued from the medieval church at Grove in Buckinghamshire (converted to a house some 40 years ago).  Most of the fittings and furniture date back to the 18th century, including the box pews and benches.  There are also two highly sophisticated Baroque monuments, of 1669 and 1670 – so unexpected in a rustic setting. POST CODE: LL65 4AP

This church is very difficult to find. It is down a track, across a field, behind a farm, which is itself down a track a mile to the north-west of Llantrisant New Church.