The Old Chancel, Ireby

The twelfth-century chancel of Ireby's old church is only part of what was originally there. In 1847, the nave was pulled down, and the font, piscina and some carvings to provide for the new church (a mile away), and two nave arcade columns were taken to serve as gateposts in the village.  On the east wall is a stone altar shelf over which is a carved medieval cross. There are two blocked 13th-century windows in the south wall; these are not visible from the exterior. Memorials include a wall plaque dated 1626 and an aedicule (small shrine) dated 1769.  The east wall arcade, with three round-headed lancets, is a fine feature.  The gateposts have now be reinstated in the churchyard.  In the churchyard are two 13th-century octagonal columns with capitals that formerly stood in the nave of the church. In 1845–46 they were moved to the village where they acted as gateposts for a house. In 1933–34, excavations revealed the former bases of these columns and, following the 1972 restoration, the columns were returned to their original positions, now to the west of the church.