St Peter's, Parwich

St Peter’s, Parwich dates back to Norman times when it was a chapelry of St Oswald’s Ashbourne. The church became a parish in 1650. Little of the original building remains today due to its demolition in 1872. The present church, constructed in 1873 by Stevens & Robinson, retains the original Norman doorway and chancel arch including a fine Saxon tympanum over the west doorway. The tympanum depicts the lamb of God with a cross, a stag trampling on a serpent, a wolf and a pig.  The church contains a pipe organ by Abbott and Smith dating from 1873.    In 2000 two windows designed by David Pilkington were installed in the Lady Chapel to commemorate the new Millennium. Names of local children living in the parish at that time are etched into the glass.   Post Code: DE6 1QL