Formerly, Hascombe was in the Diocese of Winchester. The records of the See and of the Cathedral of Winchester were destroyed in the 16th Century, so that the early history of the Church is difficult to trace. It is believed that the old church was built around A.D. 1220; the first official mention occurs in a list of churches in the Deanery of Guildford, circa 1283, where it is described as ‘Ecclesia de Escumbe’. ‘John’, the first known Rector of Hascombe, died in 1316. The church was built by Woodyer in the general style of the late 13th Century. It is of Bargate stone, quarried within the parish, with a shingled bellcote. The plan is simple; nave, chancel (or apse) and separately-roofed lady chapel. This simple plan sets off to best advantage the rich and intricate decoration on windows, walls and roof, the gilding and dark colours being further enhanced by the modern lighting. Much of the oak timber in the present porch came from the old porch. The massive mid-Victorian lock on the door was made to fit the ancient key with which the Rectors of Hascombe have, for centuries, been inducted. POST CODE: GU8 4JD