St Peter's Church, Dixton, Monmouth
Although part of the Herefordshire diocese, Dixton is actually across the border in Wales. The Book of Llandaff refers to the existence of a church, or monastery, on this site in about 735, when it was already described as an "old church" (henllan). Later charters refer to its fishing rights on the River Wye. At that time, it was dedicated to the Welsh saint Tydiwg, or Tadeocus. The Welsh name of the parish, Llandydiwg, and ultimately the name Dixton, derives from that of the saint. The existing church, now substantially rendered and whitewashed, consists of a nave with a separate chancel, a vestry, a tower to the west, and north and south porches. The oldest parts of the building, including the herring-bone masonry in the north wall of the nave, may have an Anglo Saxon origin or, alternatively, date from the 12th century. A new balcony has been constructed at the back of the church so that perishable items can be kept above the flood line. This balcony is decorated with a beautiful oak screen. Brass plates near the chancel arch record the heights of notable floods. The flood of November 2019 will eventually be approx. two feet higher than the 1947 plate. The church is a Grade II* listed building as of 27 June 1952.