St Peter ad Vincula, Wisborough Green
ST PETER AD VINCULA is a Grade 1 listed building on a prominent hilltop site. The earliest documents so far found that mention the church are dated 1227 and the list of vicars begins in 1273. Its hilltop site, unusually thick walls and high doorways suggest that for some time it may have been used as a Norman keep guarding the upper reaches of the River Arun. The church has many attractive historical features from the medieval wall painting and many additions through the centuries to a new stained glass window donated in 2006.
Being on an imposing site on the A272 the church attracts many visitors from the UK and overseas. St Peter’s was possibly a church on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela and the parish and congregation would like to further develop links with these ‘modern day pilgrims’.
The designation 'ad Vincula' is an unusual one and refers to St Peter 'in chains'. This designation is shared with about 27 other churches in the UK, including The Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula, the parish church of the Tower of London.