The construction of the first Norman church, consisting of nave and chancel, took place in approximately 1100. Our beautiful font dates back to around this time, probably about 1080, and is one of the finest and best preserved in Surrey. It is marked with a Maltese Cross on a long stem, defining it as unmistakably Norman.
The south aisle of the church was added in 1200 by the piercing of the walls and the insertion of the rounded Norman pillars.
The north aisle was then originally added about 1280.
A fire in the 16th century destroyed the north aisle, and it was only in 1842 the then RectorRev. J. Sparkes, when knocking off some plaster, discovered the three ancient Norman pillars in a state of perfect preservation and so rebuilt the north aisle dismantling and replacing the 16th century north porch.
The outline of the east window dates back to 1320, although the glasswork, imported from Normandy was constructed in 1850.
The pews are mostly of 14th and 15th century origin. The rood screen is 19th century, but it probably incorporates wood from the 15th century screen, which can still be found supporting one of the ancient churchyard yew trees believed to be over 2000 years old!