St Michael's, Tonbridge

When the village moved down nearer to the river, St Michael's was left romantically sited on a hilltop among beeches, with glorious views over the Medway valley to the Weald. Originally Norman, the church seems to have expanded to its present size around 1300; the piers and arches are clearly fourteenth century, the windows and south porch mainly fifteenth century, and the shingled spirelet has an attractive weathervane dating from 1704. Inside there are fragments of ancient glass, a Royal Arms of George II and two centuries of memorials dedicated to the Twysden family. The churchyard has has some lovely eighteenth-century headstones. Post Code: TN12 5NG