St Michael's Church, Betchworth

   The earliest reference to a church at Betchworth is in the Domesday Book of 1086. No detail of that church is known, although a fragment of stone found when the Norman tower was dismantled in 1851 suggests that it may have been built in stone. About 1089 the Manor of East Betchworth and the advowson of the church (the right to appoint vicars) were granted to William de Warrenne, probably as part of the endowment made at the creation of the Earldom of Surrey. The advowson could be of considerable value, so when in 1199 Earl Hamelin de Warren gave it to the Priory of St Mary Overie (now Southwark Cathedral) the act was considered one of piety. Post Code: RH3 7DN