St Mary's. Thornton le Moors

A chapel was present on the site in Saxon times and is recorded in the Domesday Book. It was formerly dedicated to Saint Helen. The nave, chancel and south aisle of the present church date from the 14th century as does the south door. A chapel, the Elton Chapel, was added in the 16th century. The tower also dates from this time; it was damaged by fire in 1909 and was largely rebuilt in 1910. A south porch was added in the late 17th century. The nave and chancel were originally undivided but an arch was added in the 19th century. A restoration was carried out in 1878. The church closed in 2002 and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust in September 2009. Repairs and restoration have cost £350,000, and the church is now open for visitors and community use. Post code: CH2 4HU,_Thornton-le-Moors