St Mary's, Tissington

The church dates from the 12th century, and the chancel and south porch still date from this time. The doorway has a Norman tympanum with two standing sculpted figures. St Mary's church contains an interesting Norman font.  A memorial which was erected to the memory of Francis Fitzherbert, who died in 1619 and to his son John, who died in 1642. Francis is in the lower compartment facing his wife, whilst John is in the upper storey facing his wife Elizabeth who was one of the Norbury Fitzherberts. The church was restored in 1854 when a new aisle was added on the north side.  At one time the church had two entrances, a Norman doorway as used today and the second was via steps to a first floor gallery which was removed when the church had its fine organ instated in the late Victorian period (The door, which was changed to a window, can still be seen to the left of the Norman doorway).  The tower has walls about 4 feet thick at the base and one of the original windows may still be seen on the south side. The butresses were added later, probably when the roof was altered in the 13th century.    Post Code: DE6 1RA