St Mary's, Richmond (Surrey)
The church was built in the early 16th century but has been greatly altered so that, apart from the tower, the visible parts of the church date from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. The initial chapel was built in around 1220. The church was entirely reconstructed during the reign of Henry VII who, after rebuilding the royal palace of Sheen, renamed Sheen as Richmond in 1501. The two bottom sections of the tower that survive from this period were re-faced in flint in 1904. In the early 17th century, a south aisle was added to the nave. The north aisle was added in 1699. The original nave and the south aisle were rebuilt in 1750, and iron window frames replaced the original windows in 1850. The plaster ceiling over the nave was replaced in 1866 by the architect Arthur Blomfield with timberwork, described by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner as "inappropriate". Blomfield also constructed new galleries and replaced the box pews with bench pews. In 1903–04 the architect George Frederick Bodley replaced the chancel with a new chancel, two chapels (Chapel of All Souls and Chapel of All Saints) and a vestry in a Neo-Gothic style. The tower was faced with flint and stone to match the east end. The north and south galleries were removed at this time. The west gallery was removed in 1935–36.