St Mary Magdalene, South Holmwood
The church of St Mary Magdalene sits to the west of the Horsham road directly opposite what was the great carriage drive to Holmwood House (later Holmwood Park). It was largely endowed by Mrs Charlotte Larpent of Holmwood House and her mother, Mary Ann Arnold. Designed by John Burges Watson, it was built in 1838. The original church was a small, simple and pleasingly rustic church, seating only 275. It had neither spire nor tower. A modest vicarage by the same architect was built for the first vicar, the Reverend John Sutton Utterton, the following year. The vicarage was much enlarged during the time of the next incumbent, Edmund Dawe Wickham, an independently wealthy man with a large family. If you want to find us, don't go entirely by the postcode RH5 4JX . Go off the A24 at the subway into South Holmwood village by Betchets Green Road then turn left up the drive past the church notice board. The church is at the very top and it has a large car park with a couple of spaces for disabled badge holder parking.