St John's in the Vale, Cumbria
St John's is constructed in slate and igneous rock, with some galleting. It is roofed with green slate. The plan is simple, consisting of a six-bay nave and chancel in one range, a small west tower, and a north porch. The windows along the sides of the church have two lights, and the east window has three lights. The tower has twin bell openings, and a battlemented parapet. Inside the church is an open timber roof. The altar was designed by George Gilbert Scott, and was moved here from Crosthwaite Parish Church in 1848. Panelling in the church, formerly from box pews in Crosthwaite Church, was moved here in 1893. The pulpit, its sounding board, and the sanctuary rails date from the 18th century, and also came from another church. Also in the church are carved Royal arms of George III, and memorial tablets dated 1774 and 1853. The stained glass in the east window dates from 1895 and was made by Shrigley and Hunt. The font dates from 1893 but the cover is older.