St John's, Capel

The chief part of the present building was erected in the thirteenth century, probably about 1240, and although there have been alterations and additions it still retains much of the original work. This includes the west and south walls of the Nave, the east and south walls of the Chancel, the piscina in the south wall, and the roof throughout; the west porch, with its unusual semi-circular rafters, the west and south doors with the dog-tooth mouldings and the fine stone buttress outside the south-east angle of the Nave. The only old windows are those in the south wall of the Chancel. The glass of these is almost flush with the outside wall and is without casements. An interesting feature is the projecting keystone on the inner side of the doorways, evidently to prevent the doors, when closed, being unlawfully lifted off their hinges. (Note that this does not apply to the south door, which has been re-positioned on the outside of the doorway but the keystone still remains on the inside). A south porch was added in 1838 and a small north transept with a gallery for children was built by the Shudi Broadwood family at about the same time. Post Code: RH5 5JZ