St Figael, Llanfigael, Anglesey

A church has been documented on this site since 1254. The only fabric possibly surviving from this earlier church is to be found in the foundations and part of the walls.   The interior is very austere and plain. The east end of the church is filled with box pews around the alter, for use by the richer parishioners, while the rest of the church is filled with simple backless benches with paddle-shaped end boards.  An unusual feature is the combined pulpit and reading desk on the north wall, with the desk at a lower level.   At the west end are three fonts; the oldest dates from the 12th century, and was formerly in the church of St Ynghenedl; the next dates from the 14th century, and is octagonal in shape; while the third is a "rare cupboard font. Since it was declared redundant, the charity the Friends of Friendless Churches has held a 999 year lease, which was transferred to them on 1 February 2007. After taking it over, the charity has organised the re-covering of the roof, and has re-introduced timber windows designed by Tim Ratcliffe, their design being based on the pre-existing windows.   POST CODE:LL65 4DB