St Edmund's, Fenny Bentley

The early church dates back to Norman times, later additions were made in the 13th and 14th centuries. There are no traces of the early church remaining, except perhaps the plain arch of the door within the south porch, which is Norman in appearance, and the font, which also may just possibly have come from an earlier church. Otherwise, the present building appears to have been re-built in the Decorated style of the early fourteenth century.  Major renovations were undertaken between 1847 and 1850. The spire was added in 1864. The church is listed Grade II* and designed in the Decorated style. The church features a painted side chapel ceiling manufactured from sheet aluminium, dating from around 1880. Within the side chapel a dramatic shrouded tomb to Thomas Beresford and his wife Agnes Hassall can be found. Thomas Beresford lived at Bentley Hall and raised a private army to fight at the battle of Agincourt. He died in 1473. ​​    The Organ is a two-manual instrument, by Brindley and Foster, installed in 1879. It is typical of its period and of good quality. The electric blower was added in 1949.  Post Code:DE6 1LD